Some Published Decisions from Sept. 28, 2017:
117. Immunity. Denial of Summary Judgment. Claim of Governmental Immunity of tort claims.
Board of Trustees of the Kentucky School Boards Ins. Trust v. Pope
119. Workers Compensation. Notice. KRS 342.135. Service of a claim upon an employer.
Uninsured Employers Fund v. Acahua
121. Nuisance. Trespass. Injunctive Relief. State Law Tort Claims. Preemption.
Brown-Forman Corporation v. Miller
122. Open Meetings. Issues include applicability of the KRS 61.810(1)(b) exception regarding “deliberations on the future acquisition . . . of real property” in circumstances involving bidding at public auction.
Board of Commissioners of City of Danville v. Advocate Communications
Attorney Discipline September 28, 2017:
- KBA v. Delbert Keith Pruitt
Order of suspension from the practice of law for 181 days with conditions.
- KBA v. James Grant King & James Grant King v. KBA
Order of permanent disbarment.
- KBA v. Kenneth Joseph Bader
Order of suspension from the practice of law for 30 days.
- KBA v. Christy Smith Grayson
Order of indefinite suspension.
- KBA v. Lauren M. Thompson
Order of suspension from practice of law for 3 months with conditions.
- KBA v. Robert Hansford Hoskins
Order of permanent disbarment.
- KBA v. Alan Richard Stewart
Order of suspension from the practice of law for 9 months.
- KBA v. Jerry L. Ulrich
Order of suspension from the practice of law for 6 months probates for 2 years.
- Joseph Delano Wibbels, Jr. v. KBA
Order of suspension from the practice of law for 181 days with 30 days to serve, and the remainder probated for 5 years with conditions
Court Orders Granting Motions for Discretionary Review – Sept. 20, 2017
- SAMEENA AZMAT, AS MOTHER AND NEXT FRIEND OF NAUSHER AZMAT V. GEORGE W. BAUER, M.D., III, ET AL.
- COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY V. JOHNNIE DOUGLAS
- BETH LEWIS MAZE, ET AL. V. BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR THE COMMONWEALTH POSTSECONDARY EDUCATION PREPAID TUITION TRUST FUND (CUNNINGHAM, J., NOT SITTING.
- CINDY MUNCIE, ET AL. V. PATRICIA WEISEMAN
- PHYLLIS ROACH V. KENTUCKY PAROLE BOARD, ET AL. KENTUCKY BOARD OF MEDICAL LICENSURE V. JON M. STRAUSS, M.D.
- KAREN MARTIN DOYLE, N/K/A KAREN MARTIN BRADLEY V. JAMES SAMUEL DOYLE, A/K/A SAM DOYLE
- LAURA FAYE SMITH V. JIMMY HOWARD MCGILL, JR.
Court Orders Granting Motions for Discretionary Review – Sept. 21, 2017
- THE TRAVELERS INDEMNITY COMPANY V. CHARLES ARMSTRONG, ADMINISTRATOR, ETC. 2017-SC-000041-DG WARRENANDMARTIN CADILLAC, INC., ETC. V.CHARLES ARMSTRONG, ADMINISTRATOR, 2017-SC-000042-DG WARRENMINTON, C.J.; CUNNINGHAM, KELLER, VENTERS, WRIGHT, JJ., AND DAVID ROYSE AND JUSTIN D. CLARK, SPECIAL JUSTICES, SITTING. HUGHES AND VANMETER, JJ., NOT SITTING.
Court Orders Dismissing:
MATTHEW G. BEVIN, IN HIS OFFICIAL CAPACITY AS GOVERNOR OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY V. ANDY BESHEAR, IN HIS OFFICIAL CAPACITY AS ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF KENTUCKY
We granted transfer from the Court of Appeals of Governor Matthew G. Bevin’s appeal from the circuit court’s final judgment and grant of permanent injunctive relief. The circuit·court sustained the Attorney challenge to ”’ the Governor’s. authority under Kentucky Revised Statute (KRS) 12.028 to abolish and reorganize the University of Louisville Board of Trustees and permanently enjoined the Governor from implementing the Executive Orders issued June 17, 2016, in connection with his effort. After thorough review of the briefs and an oral argument, we hold that intervening statutory law enacted by the General. Assembly has rendered moot . the legal issues decided by the Circuit court. We dismiss the appeal and.remand the case to the circuit court with directions to dismiss the complaint with prejudice.
ALL SITTING. ALL CONCUR.
ENTERED: SEPTEMBER 28, 2017. 2016-SC-000642-TG FRANKLIN TO BE PUBLISHEDMNT092017
Here is a link to the indexed minutes for the Supreme Court of Kentucky at their official web site.
Here is link to the Kentucky Court Report’s archived minutes for the Supreme Court.
This month’s minutes of the published and not to be published decisions, disciplinary matters, discretionary reviews granted and denied, petitions for hearing requested and denied, and more are as follows. Use the scroll arrows at the bottom left of the PDF document to scroll through the pages.